Tourist Info Desk

Welcome to Fernweh, a blog concerning the (mis)adventures of one Fulbrighter during a year spent in Europe teaching English.
If you'd like to know what's going on, please see the welcome message here.
If you're wondering what the book reviews are about, I direct your attention to the reading list/classic lit challenge here.
Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to hearing from you!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eyjafjallajökull

There is a volcano there that does not sleep...
Picture from here.

I can't help but be slightly worried about the situation with transatlantic and trans-European flights at the moment. According to the Wikipedia article and various news outlets, the amount that the volcano is spewing is decreasing, but that's no guarantee that it will stop, or won't start up again even if it does.

What just astounds me is how quickly and utterly the machinations and methods of the modern world can come crashing down into ruin because of one erupting volcano. Despite the hold that humanity has on the planet, we still can't stop or predict the eruption of this one volcano, or prevent the spreading ash from stranding millions of passengers and bringing air traffic across Europe and the Atlantic to a screeching halt.

I very much hope that all of this will be cleared up by the time I want to fly into Europe, but either way, there's no way to make plans at the moment; the airlines are too busy trying to sort the mess that they have on their hands already. I hope that everything gets figured out eventually, though, for the sake of the airlines, the stranded passengers, and myself--I mean, that's a really long boat ride. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh I know! We have friends due to fly to the US from Finland in May who are worried. I'm due to fly to the US in June and I'm a tad worried...eep! Maybe we'll have to be rerouted through Spain or something...

    ReplyDelete