Tourist Info Desk

Welcome to Fernweh, a blog concerning the (mis)adventures of one Fulbrighter during a year spent in Europe teaching English.
If you'd like to know what's going on, please see the welcome message here.
If you're wondering what the book reviews are about, I direct your attention to the reading list/classic lit challenge here.
Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ich Weiß Auch Nicht, Aber...

I've just finished watching the movie "Redlight", a documentary on child sexual slavery and trafficking in Cambodia. I would highly recommend the movie, especially if you aren't familiar with the topic; you can find the whole thing on YouTube:

There's no need to describe how heartbreaking it is to see these young children list with faraway eyes the horrors they've been put through. This is an evil for which there is no excuse.

I'm not sure why, but the issue of human trafficking and slavery has been on my heart a lot recently. It may be because of the indifference I've met in my students here in Stadtroda. The Fachschule has been getting teaching assistants for fifteen years, and I can't see that any of the students much notice or care. There have been before me, and there will most likely be for many years after me (if the world doesn't end on October 21st, of course) bright, privileged university students vying to come here. This school doesn't need me; there will always be someone overjoyed to be placed here.

Which got me thinking: I have the skills and the means to go where other people can't, or won't. I want to work with people who need to learn English not because they're being forced to but because it will make a difference for the better in the course of their life. And somehow, that brought me to rescued victims of slavery.

I can't teach these rescued women and children a practical trade, and I've never been a political activist or lobbyist, but damn, do I know my own language, and I have some vague idea of how to teach it, and I've got some experience finding my way around a strange culture and a new language. That's not much, but maybe learning English is a way for rescuees to help lift themselves out of the pit they've been so cruelly tossed into. If so--man, count me in.

There are problems. I've found a lot of organizations who work with governments, other organizations, and companies to fight for and free the victims; they're happy to help me organize a rally to "raise awareness" (a phrase I thoroughly detest) or to accept money to fund their efforts, but they don't seem in desperate need of English teachers. In fact, the Somaly Mam Foundation is the first I've seen to mention the need in the first place, although it seems to me that offering English would be a huge help.

Another problem: I'm a foreigner and an outsider. Would it be worth it to go all the way to Bulgaria or Cambodia or wherever, when I'd be almost as helpless as the rest of the students? And if not, how else can I help? Because I don't want to just sit back in my room full of books and clothes and food, content with tossing a small tithe of my riches to a good cause and moving on with my incredibly blessed life. I want to do something with my time and energy, heart and mind, to help people who really need it.

I've send the Somaly Mam Foundation an (extremely truncated) e-mail to this effect. I'll let you know what they say.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is awesome that you are pursuing this. If nothing else, perhaps your email will 'raise awareness'...argh.

    Honestly though, I think you should approach organizations who are dealing with human trafficking (specifically those who make long-term follow-up and education a priority) and make a job for yourself. Send a pitch letter with your resume to convince them that they need to do this and they need to hire you to do it. I know SO many people who get jobs because they do this. In fact, I think it's the best way to get a job b/c job boards are pathetic. 90% of the time it's all about who you know and/or how you pitch yourself. So go get 'em!

    It's not an area I have a lot of experience with, but I have the feeling you may have only scratched the surface of NGOs that are working with this group of people. If you're looking for faith-based organizations, check out Urbana's website and resource area. If you're looking for secular orgs, check out idealist.org .

    I really mean that about pitching yourself. I think that's the best way. At the very least an org could say 'we don't do that, but we know somebody who does/would'. Make sure you ask them for referrals in your communication.

    ReplyDelete